Saturday, November 28, 2009

Open Letter to Senator Hagan

Health pitch a violation of basic American rights
Asheville Citizen-Times | November 28, 2009

Senator Hagan,

The health care reform legislation pending approval in Congress, H.R. 3950, contains mandates to obtain individual health insurance coverage. With this provision, Congress stands to violate my rights, rather than protect them, which, in point of fact, is Congress's constitutional mandate.

This provision is a clear violation of my right to voluntarily associate and contract with employers, health care professionals and insurance providers to our mutual benefit without the interference of a predatory third party.

It violates my right to economic freedom by forcing me to purchase health insurance services against my will. It violates my right to property by forcing me to pay penalties for declining to participate in a coercive program. It violates my right to liberty by forcing me to submit to incarceration for nonpayment of penalties or additional taxes.

It violates my right to self-determination. It violates my right to use my mind to make judgments regarding my own interests and actions.

In short, this legislation violates my right to peaceably live my life as I see fit.

I stand in opposition to this violation of my Constitutionally-protected individual rights. I say "No" to the coervice mandates contained in this proposal. And it is my hope and wish that you, Senator Hagan, will stand with me and say "No" to this rights-violating health care bill.

TIM PECK
ASHEVILLE NC

[Hand-delivered to Sen. Hagan's Asheville office and published in the Asheville Citizen-Times and the Asheville Daily Planet]

RELATED

Letters from Peck and Stoddard
By Paul Hsieh, MD | We Stand Firm | November 28, 2009
I especially liked these two recent letters and want to highlight them. The first was written by Tim Peck of Ashville, NC, and published in the November 28, 2009 Ashville Citizen-Times.

The Pretense of Knowledge
Walter E. Williams | December 02, 2009
You are a 22-year-old healthy person. Instead of spending $3,000 or $4,000 a year for health insurance, you'd prefer investing that money in equipment to start a landscaping business. Which is the best use of that $3,000 or $4,000 a year -- purchasing health insurance or starting up a landscaping business -- and who should decide that question

Why the Personal Mandate to Buy Health Insurance Is Unprecedented and Unconstitutional
by Randy Barnett, et.al. | Heritage Foundation
An individual mandate to enter into a contract with or buy a particular product from a private party is literally unprecedented, not just in scope but in kind, and unconstitutional either as a matter of first principles or under any reasonable reading of judicial precedents.